Re: [squid-users] Cache youtube videos WITHOUT videocache?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:19:05 +0800

2009/7/20 Mark Lodge <mlodgesa_at_gmail.com>:
> I've come across this at
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/StoreUrlRewrite
>
> Feature: Store URL Rewriting?
>
> Does this mean i can cache videos without using videocache?

That was the intention. Unfortunately, people didn't really pick up on
the power of the feature and have stuck to abusing the redirector API
to serve this kind of content.

The advantage of the redirector approach is that it can bypass all of
the cache rule checking which goes on inside Squid. A lot of these
video (and CDN content sites in general - they charge for content
served! :) make content caching quite difficult if not impossible. The
store URL rewriting scheme also requires a set of refresh patterns to
override the "don't cache me please!" tags added to content.

I'd love to see a community take on board the store URL rewriter
interface and maintain rulesets for caching youtube, maps, windows
updates, etc. It just doesn't seem like it'll happen.

Adrian