Re: [squid-users] Configuring Squid for use on a web browser - beginner question

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 14:23:47 +1200

John Martin wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting Squid setup. I installed squid on a Linux
> server using yum, and in squid.conf uncommented the "http_port 3128"
> line. Then I added the lines below:

If you needed to uncomment the http_port line your Squid is probably
obsolete before you downloaded it. Which distro are you using? and what
Squid release did it give you?

Note; the currently old but supported releases are 2.6 and higher, and
the current most-stable production releases are 2.7.STABLE6 and 3.0.STABLE16

> # INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR CLIENTS
> acl my_pc 123.123.123.123

There is an ACL above with a name and a value, but no type.
Try:
  acl my_pc src 123.123.123.123

> http_access allow my_pc
>
> (where 123.123.123.123 is my home PC's IP address)
>
> After editing squid.conf I restarted squid, not sure if that's
> necessary. "squid -k parse" returns no errors, and "squidclient
> http://www.google.com" works properly. When I setup my browser though,
> it doesn't work. In IE I enter my server's IP as the proxy address,
> and 3128 as the port. I also tried "http_access allow all".
>
> What am I doing incorrectly, or what step am I missing?

Browser config sounds right. The only questionable things are the Squid
release and the ACL I pointed to.

Amos

--
Please be using