Re: [squid-users] Very strange squid problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:14:17 +1200

Ronan Lucio wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> Amos Jeffries escreveu:
>> Using any of these?
>>
>> Squid 2.6 or older
>> ICAP
>> diskd
>> ident
>> dnsserver helper
>> large disk cache
>> remote network SAN disk
>> RAID
>
> What would be considered a large disk cache?
> If I have a cache of 100Gb, would it be considered a large disk cache?

Yes, to squid anything over 20GB is 'large', though 'huge' is in the TB
ranges.

The default garbage collection boundaries are very heavy-handed and may
cause periodic slowness while tens or hundreds of MB in small KB files
are erased.

> Is there a number (approximatively) of a ideal size per HD (SAS 10000 RPM)?

Squid can handle up to 63 cache_dir. Each one ideally on exactly one
unique HDD / 'spindle'.
IIRC Henrik last spoke of 3 HDD being optimum for access vs data
retention. With minimal gains going to more. I'm not sure if thats changed.

> A cache of 100Gb (autofs) would reside in 1, 2 or 3 HD? or more?
>
> Thanks
> Ronan

Amos

--