Re: [squid-users] squid becomes very slow during peak hours

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:58:21 +0200

Hello,

please configure your mailer to wrap lines below 80 characters per line.
72 to 75 is usually OK.

Thank you.

On 01.07.09 05:07, goody goody wrote:

> 1. i have tried squid 3.0 stable 14 for few weeks but the problems were
> there and performance issues was also severe. as we had previously 2.5
> stable 10 running that's why i reverted to it temporarily. further i have
> squid 3.0/14 in place as i have install 2.5 in separate directry and i can
> squid 3.0/14 run it anytime. i will also welcome if you tell me the most
> stable version of squid.

2.7 was reported to be faster than 3.0 (which is based on 2.5 code)

> 2. secondly we are using RAID 5 and have very powerfull machine at present
> as compared to previous one, and previous was working good with the same
> amount of traffic and less powerfull system.

is that hardware RAID5? if it's not powerfull enough, here may be the
bottleneck - RAID5 is not very fast on disk writes...

> 4. i could not get chris robertson question regarding processors, i have
> two dual core xeon processors(3.2 ghz) and i captured stats at peak hours
> when performance was degraded.

4 cores won't helkp you much, unless you are using many redirectors.