[squid-users] Setting up a carp array

From: Martin Reissner <mreissner_at_wavecon.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:43:18 +0000

Hello, I'm trying to set up a cache array with squid 2.6 and CARP.
I started with a simple config like this:

client-----childcache-----parentcache-----originserver

The goal is to have the childcache work as a load-balancer in front of
multiple parentcaches in the future.
In addition I want to use the childcache as a hot-object cache that only
stores the most frequently requested objects.
At first I ran tests only with parentcache and originserver and everything
is working fine and as expected.
Then I added the childcache with following cache_peer line and I experience
some unexpected behaviour:

cache_peer ip_of_parentcache parent 80 0 no-query no-digest carp name=p1

I noticed that the parentcache doesn't store an object that is requested
from the childcache. When a client requests a fresh uncached object from
the childcache the store.log of the childcache says SWAPOUT but the log on
the parentcache RELEASE. Obviously when I clear the childcache the next
request on that object gets forwarded to the originserver.

Can someone point me in the right direction here or is this the default
behaviour?

Thanks,
Martin