Re: [squid-users] SQUID Home Proxy AD

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 02:45:43 +1200

Jeremey Wise wrote:
> Greetings to Squid User group!
>
> Background:
> I am new to squid. I use and love Linux but need to build a small Virtual Machine (windows based hosted under VMWare) which I can provide to family and such where it provides "protection" for kids browsing places they should not be. Due to other requirements for iTunes printers, etc... I had to construct this "gateway system" based on windows. I choose to use SQUID as I have used it on Linux and liked it's usability.
>
> Issue:
> 1) Documentation related to getting Squid to work with Windows is related to hosted functions ON a Linux system which passes auth through to AD. I need to get working Windows 2003 server with native SQUID working which does AD auth but without any Linux in the mix.

 From 2.6 Squid auth is based on helpers, there are some provided which
are native for Windows. How to use I'm not certain at this point though.

> 2) When I modify squid.conf the run the "Apply new configuration" (C:\Squid\cmd\newconfig.cmd) it ignores my changes to C:\Squid\etc\ squid.conf and puts the file back to the default settings. (I see a shell window which echos "1 file copied" but the shell cuts off the full detail of which file and from where.
>

> Goals
> 1) All websites are blocked by default
> 2) Flat text document that people can edit (saved in there "my documents as a link") which they can add a new domain to allow
> 3) AD based auth
> 4) Daily log of violations emailed to an address (so "dad" can know if son needs a chat, or if something needs adjustment)
>
> Current Setup:
> VMWare ESX hosting Windows 2003 Server
> setup_squid_2_5_stable_3_eng.exe installed and working. When I change browser proxy to this target it blocks all web browsing with a SQUID message.

I'd advise you to grab a newer Squid from Acme.
http://squid.acmeconsulting.it/

> I have googled around to find a better "how to " for windows hosted Squid or forum specific to that branch of the squid project but I have not found any. I am more than glad to document the setup process and post examples for the community

We seek to make the current Squid seamless between OS. But there are
differences. Please do document anything we have missed out :)

For setup, we have only the lengthy and technical Release Notes to help
people with installing on Windows. Thats possibly a good place to start.

PS. If you can afford any support fees for Windows builds please pass
them Guido of Acmes' way. He is the only developer able to do Windows
work on Squid and his paid job does not support very much of it.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.10 or 3.1.0.11