Re: [squid-users] saved uid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:47:47 +1200

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:06:48 +0300, Adrian Buciuman <adibuciuman_at_gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'm using squid 2.6 on Centos 5.3
>
> I've seen that the squid process keeps a saved user id of root (real
> and effective uid are that of user squid). Is this normal? How can I
> change it, and make squid give up root privileges completely?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adrian Buciuman

squid.conf chroot option
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/cfgman/chroot.html

WARNING: This will prevent many operations such as closest-source
discovery, IDENT, ARP, interception mode and reverse proxy mode. Which
require system networking resources only accessible with root privileges to
startup/restart/reconfigure.

Amos