Re: [squid-users] Squid3 / NTLM / token id cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:06:49 +0200

tis 2009-07-21 klockan 14:18 +0200 skrev Frederic THOMAS:

> On previous version we could use following settings (ntlm parameters on
> 2.5 squid and i noticed they didnt exists after 2.6) :
>
> "max_challenge_reuses" number
> "max_challenge_lifetime" timespan

These settings were removed as the technique is both fragile and
completely incompatible with NTLMv2.

> What similar option on squid 3 can be used to reduce authentication
> traffic ? Is there any solution to avoid an authentification request to
> each connection and have a possibility to reuse a token id ?

You can try enable Negotiate authentication. Uses much less 407
handshakes.

Or see into having the IP based authentication cache forward-ported to
Squid-3.

Or better yet, see too having Squid updated to support HTTP/1.1,
enabling the use of chunked encoding squid->client, which drastically
reduces the amount of new connections seen.