Re: [squid-users] /etc/hosts is ignored when browser is pointed to use a proxy, any workaround?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:23:32 +1200

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:23:57 -0500, Andres Salazar <ndrsslzr80_at_gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ive noticed that when a computer is set to use a transparent proxy
> (forced one) , or when it is pointed in the settings of the browser
> the contents for /etc/hosts in that particular computer are ignored. I
> assume it is because the DNS request is actually performed by squid on
> the remote box and not by the user computer.

Exactly.

> However... the functionality of /etc/hosts is both practical and
> required for our IT department testing in comparison of setting up a
> DNS server and have the hassle of maintaning this.
>

> Is there any work around to this for squid?

 * Configure the /etc/hosts file on the squid box.

 * Setup a small DNS daemon such a rbldnsd for the A resolutions instead of
a full-blown DNS server. Their config files are easily altered and
automated.

 * If the testing servers are internal, use cache_peer 'accelerator'
configuration to route the relevant requests to it without involving DNS
(using dstdomain ACL).

Amos