Re: Fwd: [squid-users] /etc/hosts is ignored when browser is pointed to use a proxy, any workaround?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:31:08 +0200

On 27.07.09 00:19, Kinkie wrote:
> This is an issue of the browser, not of squid.
> When a browser is configured to use a proxy, it will not perform DNS
> lookups for the content it fetches. There's nothing squid can do about
> it.

actually when browser is set to use proxy, is doesn't resolve hostnames
since the proxy has to do.

> The only way to perform the testing you hint at is to configure the
> browsers you do the testing with NOT to use a proxy when accessing the
> tested sites.

Some browsers alloe to skip proxy for some hosts/IP addresses in which case
the resolving may be done. It also may be done if you configure browser to
use proxy auto configuration file that will force it to do the resolution.

"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]