Re: [squid-users] New Accel Reverse Proxy Cache is not caching everything... how to force?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:26:39 +0200

On 02.08.09 21:28, Waitman Gobble wrote:
> i've kept an eye on it, and i agree that it may start paging and/or
> crash. but so far, so good.

a very simple solution: decrease cache_mem to 256Mb. It is only used for
object fetched from the network and if your squid usage is really that low,
you don't need big cache_mem. So you will prevent your squid from caching in
the future without any downfall.

> i've built hundreds of servers (but not so many running squid) over the
> past 12 years, and when it's running 0 load that actually feels like
> waste to me.

replace the computer by a slower machine, or install BOINC client (e.g.
seti_at_home) there. What else could I advise you?

> but at the moment i'm looking at the end result, which is
> good. it's not getting so much traffic, just under 1 million page views
> a month according to g analytics. i'm considering setting it in front of
> some high traffic sites, but only after a while, maybe a month, when i
> feel like it's not going to bomb and cause problems. so at the moment,
> it's a live experiment.

Yes, it would be a good experiment, if it could handle the traffic. If you
need it or can benefit of it, just do it, you machine apparently can handle
more load. But be carefull and don't push all servers behind the cache, you
never know when may that happen. Especially now when you have oversized
cache_mem.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.