Re: [squid-users] Via off not working

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 11:39:23 +1200

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:33:41 +0300, George <izghitu_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On another server I have the same setup working and not showing the
> Warning. When I go to www.whatismyipaddress.com it does not detect me
> as proxy.
>
> On the new server with this warning I am detected as proxy thus Via is
> still on.

www.whatismyipaddress.com uses many other means than just Via to figure out
if a proxy is present. Thus your logic is flawed whether or not your are
right.

> How do I disable it?

You just did. IIRC with "via off" squid does not _add_ a new Via header and
not add its own details to existing Via.
You may still be using a proxy from some other network between you and
whatismyipaddress.com, or they may be finding any one of a number of other
small details.

My advice: don't be ashamed of the proxy. Only change the absolute minimum
of client information. Both the request and reply are technically the
intellectual property of someone else.

Amos