Re: [squid-users] Script Check

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:10:23 +0800

"don't do that."

As someone who did this 10+ years, I suggest you do this.

* do some hackery to find out how your freeradius server stores the
"currently logged in users". It may be in a mysql database, it may be
in a disk file, etc, etc
* have your redirector query -that- directly, rather than running
radwho. When I did this 10 years ago, the radius server kept a "wtmp"
style file with current logins which worked okish for a few dozen
users, then sucked for a few hundred users. I ended up replacing it
with a berkeley DB hash table to make searching for users faster.
* then in the helper, cache the IP results for a short period (say, 5
to 10 seconds) so frequent page accesses wouldn't result in a flurry
of requests to the backend
* keep the number of helpers low - you're doing it wrong if you need
more than 5 or 6 helpers doing this..

Adrian