[squid-users] QA/Test machines sought!

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:33:13 +1000

Hi, a few of us dev's have been working on getting a build-test
environment up and running. We're still doing fine tuning on it but the
basic facility is working.

We'd love it if users of squid, both individuals and corporates, would
consider contributing a test machine to the buildfarm.

The build farm is at http://build.squid-cache.org/ with docs about it at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/BuildFarm.

What we'd like is to have enough machines that are available to run test
builds, that we can avoid having last-minute scrambles to fix things at
releases.

If you have some spare bandwidth and CPU cycles you can easily
volunteer.

We don't need test slaves to be on all the time - if they aren't on they
won't run tests, but they will when the come on. We'd prefer machines
that are always on over some-times on.

We only do test builds on volunteer machines after a 'master' job has
passed on the main server. This avoids using resources up when something
is clearly busted in the main source code.

Each version of squid we test takes about 150MB on disk when idle, and
when a test is going on up to twice that (because of the build test
scripts).

We currently test
2.HEAD
3.0
3.1
3.HEAD

and I suspect we'll add 2.7 to that list. So I guess we'll use abut
750MB of disk if a given slave is testing all those versions.

Hudson, our build test software, can balance out the machines though -
if we have two identical platforms they will each get some of the builds
to test.

So, if your favorite operating system is not currently represented in
the build farm, please let us know - drop a mail here or to noc @
squid-cache.org - we'll be delighted to hear from you, and it will help
ensure that squid is building well on your OS!

-Rob