Re: [squid-users] RE: SQUID PAC-File and JAVA (1.6.11) SOLVED?

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:00:11 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> tis 2009-08-18 klockan 03:23 -0500 skrev Bill Allison:
>
> > For example, on a Windoze client (XP-SP3 at least) on VPN, the
> > javascript function myIPAddress() will return the IP address of the
> > *outside* of the tunnel
>
> Yes, and a number of other similar situations as well.

I've heard talk of IPv6 addresses causing issues too.

> My general recommendation is to code the needd myIPAddress logics on the
> server side instead if possible. I.e. have the PAC served by a webserver
> script, using REMOTE_ADDRESS as input determining where the client is
> located. But that obviously won't work very well on roadwarrior
> clients..

We tend to have the domain assigned to each computer by the DHCP server
differ depending on the machine's address range. This means
wpad.<domain> is different for each ip range so you can have static wpad
files.

However, I was hoping to have them all hosted on one apache server using a
vhost but it turns out that some but not all of the browsers (firefox and
some versions of IE) don't load http://wpad.<domain>/wpad.dat. Instead
they do a DNS lookup, then download http://<wpadserverip>/wpad.dat which
means you can't use vhosts. This is a real PITA. For now, we've got the
wpads on different servers, but a PHP-driven wpad.dat was my next solution.

Gavin