Re: [squid-users] Windows live messenger not working through squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:39:37 +1200

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:42:52 -0700 (PDT), "Henrique M."
<henriquemarrocos_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> After I got squid to work, users from the network stoped been able to use
> Windows Live Messenger. I don't know if I have to change something on
squid
> or iptables.
>
> Could you guys help me out?

Its likely iptables, since the messengers do try to use their own protocol
as much as possible. Only using a proxy if that fails on them.

This might be of some help identifying the relevant ports etc:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Chat/MsnMessenger

Just invert the rules to 'allow' instead of 'deny' for squid.conf.

There are possibly other ports such as 443 involved with authentication and
their handshaking that need to be accounted for. Google around for the live
ports, you may need a firewall log or packet trace to find specific detals
if there is any other problems.

Amos