[squid-users] Squid as a non caching reverse proxy on Windows

From: Lyle <webmaster_at_cosmicperl.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 20:17:55 +0100

Hi All,
  I've been having some trouble getting this setup. Initially I was
following a guide that didn't use a reverse proxy:-
Which worked great locally, but not for any other computers. So I
figured it was missing a reverse proxy. I've managed to get Squid
installed and running on windows after following:-

The issue is configuring it to act as a non caching reverse proxy, I
tried reading:-
But the internal DNS bits at the bottoms aren't clear and left me at a loss.
I also read:-
But found it difficult to follow.

Here is what I'm trying to achieve:-

I have one public IP, let's call it In my local network
I have multiple machines. Two of them are and
On I have Squid installed bound to and both
IIS7 and Apache 2.2 on the same machine. Apache bound to
and IIS has Apache bound to port 80.

Apache is serving test1.domain.com and IIS test2.domain.com, Apache on is serving test3.domain.com.
In my local etc/hosts file I've got:-
Which works great locally.

domain.com is hosted on an external server. I've updated it's DNS
records with a new entry for test1 2 and 3 pointing to
If I ping any of them it get

All I need is the squid config to get the incoming requests and forward
to the correct local server based on domain name. But I just can't seem
to get my head around it, or find any straight forwards guides online.

Pls help :(