Re: [squid-users] squid as reverse proxy for DNS ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:02:49 +1200

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:52:13 +0200, Jakob Curdes <jc_at_info-systems.de>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am in the market for a reverse proxy that does intelligent load
>> balancing for DNS. I've used Squid for proxy before but have not been
>> able to find any info on using it for DNS reverse proxy (or UDP, more
>> generally) -- I've searched the website and list archives but wasn't
>> able to find anything about this
>>
> Well, because this cannot work. Proxies are essentially protocol parsers
> with a cache. Squid is a HTTP(S) proxy which knows nothing about the DNS
> protocol.
> Moreover, it knows nothing about UDP as transport. There are dedicated
> DNS proxies and general DNS software with proxy capabilities but this is
> out of the scope of this mailing list.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jakob

Close. Squid contains an internal DNS client that knows all about how to
query and _read_ DNS protocol and does cache it according to DNS standards.
But does not relay any of its info to external programs.

If we are to take a giant leap and assume he meant Squid caching IPs,
identifying dead HTTP servers and routing around them to the working ones.
Squid does do that.

Amos