Re: [squid-users] Traffic Question

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:46:50 +1200

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:55:11 -0300, Alex Montoanelli
<alexm_at_unetvale.com.br>
wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a network with around 2000 customers, all of them, passing by a
> Squid,
> configured with WCCP on a Cisco Router.
>
> I have configured too, my implementation of http://cachevideos.com/ -
> my implementation is on Php - more little and fast.
>
> Analyzing the Squid access logs, I see thousand of request to the
> file wlsetup-cvr.exe, from windows/live systems.
>
> My question is for peoples that have a medium/big network, with many
> Windows customers, if this is normal.
>
> Other observation is that the request are always partial, - 206 HTTP Code
-

> Regards
>
> Alex Montoanelli
> Unetvale

(Not exactly someone with a huge network, but I have windows live users).

Probably normal. This name is used by the Windows Live app during install
(full objects downloaded), Live upgrades (large ranges downloaded), and
sometimes regular windows updates (seeming spot-check small ranges
downloaded). If you have seen it recently it probably means your clients
are at least keeping up with the August/July WindowsLive security fixes.

With lots of windows users you may want to experiment with caching the
associated requests.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate

Amos