Re: [squid-users] problems setting up accelerator mode in squid 2.7

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:17:16 +1200

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:22:51 +0930, Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 02:53:29AM +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>
>> You need to send the normal proxy requests to a different port than the
>> one receiving reverse-proxy (accel) requests.
>>

> ah, bummer.
>
>> With current Squid you do that by adding a second http_port entry (3128
>> should do) and pointing the browser configurations there.
>>

> yep, that was what I thought I would have to do - the unfortunate
> thing is though most of the clients use an automatic proxy
> configuration script we have some manual configurations that will need
> to be changed.

The good news is that non-CONNECT requests will still work through the
accel port so the transition will be easier than a kill-n-renumber.

>> ... and double-check your config against this to make sure everything is

>> right:
>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/BasicAccelerator
>>

> I never really considered this to be a reverse proxy for some reason.

Um, you did not specify any details about *why* you had port 80 with 'accel
vhost' options so I assumed you had them for their intended reason:
'accelerating' and routing certain requests to an internal webserver.

If by chance you had them in order to do transparent proxy for some people,
then you will need to change that as well (after the initial transition) to
a proper transparent intercept setup instead of reverse-proxy.

Amos