RE: [squid-users] Laptops/Mobile Phones using Squid on the road

From: Dave Burkholder <dave_at_thinkwelldesigns.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:42:13 -0400

>Authentication was created for exactly this purpose.

>With explicitly set proxy settings in the browsers, there is no reason why
you can't allow >them to login to the proxy when they are on the road. Or
even at HQ.

>Note that by entering the proxy settings in the browsers you are no longer
using >"transparent mode".

>Assuming by "transparent" you actually mean "NAT intercepting" you should
of course have >Squid listening on one port for the intercepted requests
(authentication not possible) and >another for the configured browsers
(authentication possible).

>Amos
>--
>Please be using
> Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE6 or 3.0.STABLE18
> Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.13

I'm back on this after a few days...Thanks for your reply, Amos. What you
said about authentication makes a lot of sense. So I disabled transparent
mode, and required authentication and I get the exact same problem. (using
Clarkconnect 5.0) Squid throughs an error, but does NOT give me a login
dialog box as it would inside the LAN!!!

A few more details about what I'm trying to do...

1. Using Dansguardian content filter on Clarkconnect 5.0
2. When I'm OUTSIDE the CC lan using proxy settings in the browser, I get
the Dansguardian error page if I try to go to a banned site.
3. When I try to visit a site that is acceptable, I get the Squid error.
4. Then if I put in the ACL rule to allow my WAN IP, everything works.

Any ideas? I'd really like to just use proxy settings without VPN involved.

Thank you in advance.