Re: [squid-users] Systematic caching

From: Evguen <evguen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 01:10:17 -0700 (PDT)

Henrik Nordstrom-5 wrote:

> tor 2009-08-27 klockan 03:02 -0700 skrev Evguen:
>>
>> Henrik Nordstrom-5 wrote:
>> >
>> > See refresh_pattern. Allows override of most things.
>> >

>> Absolutely right, thanks!
>>
>> I've done this by commenting following lines :
>> #acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
>> #no_cache deny QUERY
>>
>> [...]
>
> Yes, those lines were removed from the suggested default config quite
> some time ago...

Right! As I work on CentOS 4.7, the packaged Squid version is 2.5.
I downloaded Squid version 3.1.0.13 and compiled it. Everything works fine
now.

Henrik Nordstrom-5 wrote:

>> I am not sure about the percent usage. The doc says
>> (http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/refresh_pattern/) :
>>
>> 'Percent' is a percentage of the objects age (time since last
>> modification age) an object without explicit expiry time
>> will be considered fresh.
>>
>> I cannot really understand what is the formula here. Can anybody explain
>> me
>> please ?
>
> Basically
>
> freshness lifetime = (Last-Modified - Date) * Percent
>
> with some small twists to it which can generally be ignored

So let's say :
 - Last Modified = August, 1st
 - Date = August, 28th
 - Percent 50%
freshness lifetime = 14 days

I still do not really understand what do I have to do with this 14 days ;)

Thanks for all your answers, I helped to solve my real problem !