Re: [squid-users] Providing access to few sites for different users

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:29:47 +1200

Avinash Rao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have many users using squid2.6 stable18 version. There are many
> users who need access to sites like youtube, onlinemovies etc.. but, i
> have to block access to these sites for other users and all of them
> are online at the same time.
>
> I have used acl badurl url_regex -i teen orkut youtube sex mp3 mp4 exe
> in my squid.conf.
>
> Can i use unix groups to achieve this?
> Say for example, create acl's for users in a particular group and give
> them access
>
> external_acl_type unix_group %LOGIN /usr/lib/squid/squid_unix_group -p
> acl staffgroup external unix_group staff
>
> Users in staff group should have access to youtube etc..
> How do i do this?
>
> Thanks
> Avinash

You need to use the groups management built into your user accounts system.

If you use unix accounts (on the Squid machine I think) to control your
users then yes the unix groups on that machine can be checked.
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/manuals/squid_unix_group

Otherwise check out the authentication section of the FAQ for more ways.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq

Amos

--
Please be using