Re: [squid-users] squid (without transparent mode) + Gateway + Authentication on same machine, is it possible ?

From: Jefferson Diego <jeffersondiego8_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 11:10:15 -0300

Em 04-09-2009 07:16, Sachin Malave escreveu:
> I have configured Squid as transparent proxy server& same machine is
> working as gateway also.
> I found that authentication is not possible in transparent mode.
>
> Is there a way to configure squid at same gateway without transparent
> mode but should support authentication.
>
> Thank you
>
> sachinm

(I will advise that I'm brazilian, so sorry my poor english)

Man, this is impossible!
In transparent mode, the browser don't know that there is a proxy.
How can you call functions to authenticate in a thing that you don't
know that exists? (understand that is impossible?)
You need to choose: Transparent OR authentication.
Or, you have another option: Use forced proxy (redirect you 80 port to
3128).
Your computer is the gateway so, if you use forced mode, everyone that
try to access the internet will see a proxy error, (and so, is forced to
enter in options and put the proxy address).