Re: [squid-users] Squid Cache...

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:20:05 +0200

> 2009/8/25 Sagar Navalkar <sagar.navalkar_at_idbiintech.com>:
> > I understand the fact that cache in fact helps improve speed!
> >
> > Please let me know if clearing the squid cache will help in eliminating
> > the corrupted cache files & help to improve the proxy performance.

> Squid does it automatically.

> > How frequently can the squid cache be cleared? And is it advisable to
> > clear the cache frequently or otherwise to improve performance.?

Squid has its own way to remove old cache files, see
cache_replacement_policy directive.

On 25.08.09 20:57, Jeff Pang wrote:
> If the cache_dir is very large, for example, the size of it reaches
> 100G or more, then clearing cache is helpful to performance IMO.

I'd say it's mostly because of underestimated RAM or oversized cache_mem -
see squid's FAQ to understand squid's memory usage.

> I always do:
>
> /path/squid -k shutdown
> mv cachedir cachedir.old
> mkdir cachedir
> chown -R nobody:nobody cachedir
> /path/squid -z
> /path/squid -D
> rm -rf cachedir.old &

What do you mean always? You apparently have problem with misconfigured
or insufficient machine if you need to do this often/periodically do this.

Properly configurung the squid should help you to avoid this step - why
bother to cache files if it slows down squid and you will even remove them?
Especially when squid can better choose what to remove and what to leave in
the cache

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".