Re: [squid-users] recommended memory/cache replacement policy

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:15:22 +0200

On 10.09.09 14:12, Muhammad Sharfuddin wrote:
> squid cache 2.7 STABLE5
> squid cahce 3.0 STABLE19
>
> I am using the following memory/cache replacement policy
>
> memory_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
> cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
>
> are they(heap LFUDA) best or most recommended ? or should I left them
> default.

I can only tell you

- heap policies behave better than non-heap (which is only lru iirc)
 even "heap lru" behaves better than "lru".

- heap LFUDA gives better byte ratio, while heap GSDF better hit ratio
  I use heap GSDF for memory objects and LFUDA for on-disk objects

- last time I've been looking at LFUDA vs GSDF I've had about 2% difference
  It's been years ago, maybe someone will see higher difference now

My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.