[squid-users] Re[squid-users] verse Proxy & RDP Protocol

From: jmkakabarb <nabble_at_hammer.otherinbox.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 03:57:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm a new Squid user, I've been referred to Squid as a possible solution to
the following problem:

I have a VPN client (only runs on Windows) which my colleagues and I use to
RDP to Windows Terminal Server in the office.
I far prefer to use Linux, as I stated above my VPN client only runs on
Windows, so I have a problem - to work I need Windows, to do everything else
I need Ubuntu.
So I installed VirtualBox, created an XP Virtual Machine and installed the
VPN client on it - works great - I can VPN from the XP Virtual Box instance
...... but I want more :)

I want to reverse proxy connections from my linux box to the XP machine, and
on to the VPN to allow me to RDP from Ubuntu - that way I can shrink the XP
image as small as possible and deploy it to my colleagues (who also use
Linux) as an appliance for connection to the VPN.

I know Squid can reverse proxy HTTP, but am not sure about any constraints.

So, my question is, can I install Squid to the Windows XP box, configure it
as a reverse proxy to listen on 3389, connect to the reverse proxy on 3389
on the Windows box (from the Ubuntu box) using RDP and forward to the VPN.

Can I reverse proxy RDP?

Anyone know whether or not I should pursue this?

Thanks in advance