Re: [squid-users] squid NTLM setup question

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 00:30:46 +1200

Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> On Sun, 20-Sep-2009 at 00:29:12 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> Andre Albsmeier wrote:
>>> If you want something like this:
>>>
>>> no auth NTLM auth
>>> clients -------> squid ---------> NTLM based proxy ---> world
>>>
>>> I think this is not possible with squid. I worked around this
>>> same problem with cntlm using:
>>>
>>> no auth no auth NTLM auth
>>> clients -------> squid -------> cntlm ---------> NTLM based proxy ---> world
>>>
>>> cntlm runs on the same machine as squid does. However, I were
>>> happy if the cntlm functionality could be brought into
>>> squid one day...
>> Your wish is granted ;)
>
> Oh, that's good news, thanks!
>
>> 3.2 will have Kerberos login to cache_peer servers. The code is already
>> committed to the 3.HEAD alpha releases.
>
> Now I am confused: You talk about Kerberos, I thought of NTLM
> (NTLMv2 to be exact). In cntlm I simply enter my NTLMv2 hash
> and it authenticates happily to its upstream. With Kerberos,
> I always think about tickets, krb-servers and so on. To be
> honest, I have never been into Windoze's NTLM stuff a lot (I
> am just happy it works) neither used Kerberos until now.

Sorry. Mea culpa. Been looking at the back-end for too long.
Kerberos is the one Squid is getting. The old NTLM is deprecated by MS,
the NTLMv2 will go out with XP before Squid 3.2 is ready for use.

> Will there be some kind of How-To for using this new feature?

Yes, its in the configuration manual login=NEGOTIATE setting for
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/cache_peer

> Thanks a lot for your great work on squid,
>
> -Andre

Amos

--
Please be using