Re: [squid-users] proxy is showing up as transparent

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:55:42 +1200

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:13:36 +0100, "J Webster" <webster_jack_at_hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi
> I have my proxy set up for port 8080 and 3128.
> I used most of the defaults and it is successfully transmitting webpages.
> However, when I go to: http://www.hideyouripaddress.net/what_is_my_ip/
> it shows the server IP.
> However, it is passing on the fact that it is a proxy and that my real IP

> address is:
> YOUR Proxy
> Proxy Type: Transparent, Real IP: 86.xxx.xxx.xx
> Any ideas why this is and what to check in the config?

The term "transparent" has several an muddled meanings. That website seems
to classify all modes of Squid proxy as "transparent". Perhapse the website
itself is behind a transparent proxy :) most of that web page you reference
is pure marketing hype mixed with some outright lies.

Amos