Re: [squid-users] not caching enough

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:08:46 +0200

On 24.09.09 10:45, ant2ne wrote:
> This web cache proxy server is a dedicated machine running ubuntu 64bit OS
> (no gui) with 5gigs of RAM and a 1TB drive dedicated to the cache. Only
> using 500GB currently. (The OS is on a different 80GB drive) Accordign to
> the math of 10MB of RAM per 1GB of Disk space that would put me right at 5GB
> of RAM.

well, the 5GB of tram will be used only for cache indexes. You may need
additional memory for OS, cache etc. or your system may start swapping and
get unusable.

> Yesterday I increased the maximum_object_size value to 32MB from the default
> of 4MB and haven't noticed any difference in the cache size. I think I'll
> push it up around 50MB.

How much traffic goes through your cache?

Note that

- there's much of uncacheable content on the web
  (much of it could be cached if the developers cared)

- squid only tried to cache fetched content.

Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.