Re: [squid-users] hardware specification

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:11:42 -0800

HRINS wrote:
> hi,
> Im new with squid cache, my hardware specification server is 500 GByte hard
> disk,8G ram.
> I have 1000 user about 400 active user so is it better to upgrade my
> hardware or this is enough ?? I forget to mention the rate bandwidth is
> 12Mbps (from VSAT)

What you have is likely fine.

Some suggestions:
* Don't try to fill the whole 500GB drive from the start. Start small
(100 GB) and grow if memory utilization allows.
* With satellite connections keep an eye on your Reserved/Free File
Descriptor count. Using a COSS dir for small files can help greatly,
but is only supported on 2.7.
* Adjust your maximum_object_size to cache 1GB objects (or larger).

Chris