Re: [squid-users] Managing clusters of siblings (squid2.7)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:52:58 +1200

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:24:16 -0700 (PDT), Chris Hostetter
<hossman_squid_at_fucit.org> wrote:
> : The DNS way would indeed be nice. It's not possible in current Squid
> : however, if anyone is able to sponsor some work it might be doable.
>
> If i can demonstrate enough advantages in getting peering to work i might

> just be able to convince someone to think about doing that ... but that
> also assumes i can get the operations team adament enough to protest
> having a hack where they need to run a "config_generator" script on
> every box whenever a cluster changes (because a script like that would be

> fairly straight forward to write as a one off, it's just harder to
> implement as a general purpose feature in squid)
>
> : With Squid-2.7 you can use the 'include' directive to split the
> squid.conf
> : apart and contain the unique per-machine parts in a separate file to
the
> : shared parts.
>
> yeah, i'm already familiar with inlcude, but either way i need a
> per-machine snippetto get arround the "sibling to self" problem *and* a
> way to reconfig when the snippet changes (because of the cluster changing

> problem)
>
> -Hoss

For a bit of leverage; every time the config changes squid needs to be
reconfigured, which causes a short outage.

I've been thinking about it, and the multiple-IPs for a cache_peer might
work when a DNS name is entered as first parameter of cache_peer. But only
the IPs detected at startup/reconfigure time will be used so you don't
really evade the reconfigure outage with that either.

Amos