[squid-users] Re[squid-users] verse Proxy, sporadic TCP_MISS

From: tookers <gareth_at_garethcoffey.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 02:41:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I'm running several Squid boxes as reverse proxies, the problem i'm seeing
is when there are a high number of connections in the region of 80,000 per
Squid at peak I'm getting 1,000's of TCP_MISS for the same URL hitting the
back end servers, things do eventually sort themselves out. Is there any way
to prevent such behaviour? I assumed with 'collapsed_forwarding on' it would
only send a single request to the backend for new content?
Other than the odd instance where this problem occurs the servers run
between 90 - 99% hit ratio and have been load tested with max bandwidth
922Mbps @ 68,000 connections, system resources are readily available with
Squid only ever using 30% CPU at peaks and over 4.5GB RAM free. The systems
also have 100,000 file descriptors available.

Any help / tips will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Tookers

Squid Conf:-

http_port x.x.x.x:80 act-as-origin vhost defaultsite=x.x.com:80
httpd_suppress_version_string on
icp_port 0

dns_nameservers 127.0.0.1
dns_testnames x.x.com
visible_hostname squid1

cache_replacement_policy lru
memory_replacement_policy lru
cache_dir aufs /var/squid/var/cache 4096 16 256
cache_mem 512 MB

accept_filter httpready
memory_pools on
memory_pools_limit 0