[squid-users] Squid "acl port"

From: wangwen <wangw330_at_126.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:46:04 +0800

Hi All.

I have my question about the use of ˇ°acl port ˇ± in squid.conf.

Generally the proxy has the following three cases:

1. Standard proxy cache server: In order to realize this approach, We must
indicate the Ip and port of proxy server in the browser of everyone internal
host.

2. Transparent proxy cache server: The transparent cache intercepts network
traffic, filters HTTP traffic (on port 80), and handles the request if the
item is in the cache.

3. Reverse proxy cache server: It usually listen in 80 port to accept client
request. When guests accessing proxy server, they will just feel like
visiting backend server.User can't feel backend server here.

In the first case: Entering ˇ°IP:portˇ± in the browser we can access any
website. According to IP address and port in the browser, Proxy server
control user access. In this case we can use ˇ°acl portˇ± in squid.conf to
control access.

In the second case: Entering ˇ°IP:portˇ± in the browser we can access any
website. But the request URL which not include port 80 will not be sent to
proxy server. I think that ˇ°acl portˇ± is useless In this case.

In the third case: Entering ˇ°IP of reverse proxy server:portˇ± in the
browser we can access backend server. I think that ˇ°acl portˇ± is useless
In this case.

From what we analyzed beforeŁ¬ˇ±acl portˇ± only takes effect in the first
case, or is it? If it is not, Can anybody give me some example using ˇ°acl
portˇ± in another cases?

Thank you.