[squid-users] secured authentication

From: David Boyer <David_at_bvu.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:28:45 -0500

I've been using squid_ldap_auth (Squid 2.7, SLES 11) for basic authentication, and it wasn't terribly difficult to set up. What concerns me is the passing of credentials from the browser to Squid in plain text. When we use basic authentication anywhere else, the web site usually requires HTTPS. I'm not seeing an easy way to do that with Squid.

We have a full Active Directory environment, and everyone using Squid has a domain account. Our users use a combination of Firefox 3.x, IE, and Safari.

What options are there for using authentication with Squid while also ensuring the credentials passed between the browser and Squid are encrypted? The stunnel approach would not be an option for us.

TIA!

David Boyer
Senior Network Administrator
Buena Vista University