Re: [squid-users] New Admin

From: Ross Kovelman <rkovelman_at_gruskingroup.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 18:50:14 -0400

>> Thanks for all the help and noticing that time issue. I am now left with
> 5
>> issues and I should be done:
>>
>> 1) Apparently squid thinks its later in the day then it is. I have a
> time
>> server, can I sync it with that?
>
> Probably. Look it up in the NTP controls for your machine. Squid works on
> whatever the OS says the time is.
> Also check all the other time related settings on the box (timezone, local
> vs universal, hardware clock settings etc) to make sure they are right. One
> common mistake is to set the HW clock to universal time and setting the OS
> to thinking its running HW clock in local time. Or the opposite.
>
>> 2) If #1 can be fixed I am not sure the times I have set are working and
>> being blocked
>
> This is statement. not a question. invent some tests.
> I would suggest maybe trying to load a blocked website at certain times of
> the day?
>
>> 3) Those sites that are blocked, could I set up a way for certain users
>> access those sites if they know a password? ie: victoriasecret.com is
> not
>> allowed but lets say a manager wanted to see it and he was given
>> permission.
>> Could I have a password prompt come up that he can enter in and gain
>> access?
>
> Yes. Create an ACL for normal login. Adding it to the end of the line
> For example:
> ... login setup
> acl loginACL proxy_auth REQUIRED
> http_access deny our_networks bad_url workdays !loginACL
>

>> 4) Most users here use sharepoint and I cant seem to get IE to get the
>> authentication prompt. Any reasons why?
>
> Because SharePoint is part of the Office suite not part of the Internet
> browser?
>
>> 5) Is there an easy way, instead of physically touching each computer is
>> there a way to have either DNS or something look at Squid before routing
>> the
>> traffic?
>
> Please explain?
> DNS does not depend on HTTP. More the other way around.
>
> Amos

1) Time is showing this:
Generated Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:33:02 GMT by squid.xxx.com
(squid/2.5.STABLE10)
It is actually 6:33, it should be 1800hrs not 2200hrs. This is on a Mac and
the server shows the right time. Unless some how the "bios" clock is off?
Will need to verify

2-3) Ok so the blocking works just not right. Here is the lines:
acl workdays time MTWHF 8:30-12:00
acl workdays time MTWHF 13:30-18:00
http_access deny bad_url workdays
It seems that when it is 18:30 it blocks all web traffic. When it is not
those times listed I need the web open for all traffic. Any ideas?

4) I don't follow you, can you explain more?
> Yes. Create an ACL for normal login. Adding it to the end of the line
> For example:
> ... login setup
> acl loginACL proxy_auth REQUIRED
> http_access deny our_networks bad_url workdays !loginACL

5)I will need to use WCCP. Anyone know how to get this to work on a Mac?

Thanks