Re: [squid-users] Increase File Descriptors

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:39:18 +1300

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:07:35 +0530, John s <bunix1_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have squidIcap version (2.5.Stable14) running .

Please upgrade to a current 3.x version of Squid. 2.5 is well obsolete and
the patches have large known issues.

> Observed File descriptor error in cache.log file. So tried to increase
> the max filedesc to 4096 from 1024 in
> /usr/local/squidICAP/etc/squid.conf file .
>
> But while restarting squid it gives parse error .(Squid starting
> successfully if I comment the filedesc value)
>
> Please let me know how to edit filedesc value in squidicap version.

You cannot change file descriptors using the Squid-2.5 config file.
You will need to recompile squid with the --with-maxfd=N compile option.

When you reach the point of recompiling it's not worth staying with old
releases of Squid and you may as well build newer updated code which has
all the features you need already well tested and built in. 3.x do not have
the config control of FD either, but when rebuilding you can set a higher
limit, and it supports ICAP natively.

Amos