[squid-users] Forwarding Apache .htaccess authentication

From: Kaya Saman <SamanKaya_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:02:09 +0300

Hi,

this is my first post although been running Squid for a little while am
still very new to it as I'm just transitioning between being an
ex-student to a junior professional with UNIX stuff :-)

Basically here's the issue:

I would like to access some services in my network protected by
.htaccess uname/passwd authentication, however when I enter the
uname/passwd combo I get kicked out and the enter uname/passwd dialog
box comes up again.... I have come to believe that this is a Squid issue
as Apache works fine internally on my intranet with this authentication
method/procedure.

No logs in Apache claim that there has been an error so I'm reckoning
that Squid cannot forward the http authentication headers somehow.

I have been instructed on the Apache users mailing list to check up auth
basic realm only I couldn't find and understand exactly what I need to
do as in Squid config file there is something which says:
#auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server

I have enabled this option and restarted Squid only to have no effect!!!

Squid is being used as a reverse proxy so I am really stuck on what to
do....

Someone on the Apache mailing list gave me a plugin for firefox to
detect http headers and save them of which the relevant output is this:

[code]
http://zeta-ray.optiplex-networks.com/munin/

GET /munin/ HTTP/1.1
Host: zeta-ray.optiplex-networks.com
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive
Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46U2NscjExWFA5OQ==

HTTP/1.x 401 Unauthorized