Re: [squid-users] squid centralized log

From: Leonardo Rodrigues <leolistas_at_solutti.com.br>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:16:52 -0200

anti spamЯ escreveu:
> Hello all,
> I have 4 different squid servers (three running squid-2.7.STABLE7 and
> one squid-3.0.STABLE16) working on different subnets, and I'd like to
> centralize their access.log entries to a remote log server.
> I've read somewhere that using the syslog facility with huge amounts
> of traffic causes log to be incomplete on the centralized log server.
> So, please, can someone out there point me to a good and reliable solution?
> I've found something about mysql, but not so sure the bandwidth
> consumption would benefit..

do you need logs in realtime on the centralized server ???

i ask that because most of people need logs for some scheduled log
processing, like once a day or once a week. For those, some log rotation
procedure and some rsync, correctly timed, would be enough to getting
logs to some centralized server and, after that, do the log analyzing.
Just do the rotation and syncing before the log analyzing schedule runs
and you should be OK.

if you need them in realtime, then you'll have to look syslog/mysql or
something related .... subject in which i cant give any kind of advice
because i've never used that.

but log rotation/rsyncing works just fine, i use that in lots of situations.

--
	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues