Re: [squid-users] help on squid setup

From: Kaya Saman <SamanKaya_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:43:13 +0300

[...]
> I want to implement linux squid proxy server so that i have better
> controls that is ( time based restrictions , ip based restrictions and
> block certain web sites ) through squid ACLS
>
> I think i have to implement squid as a transparent proxy server with 2
> lan cards on the squid server

[...]

Hi Simon, you should be able to do all this from within the router if it
is a fairly good one....

The Cisco 88x and 89x series definitely do this very well and as for the
88x are ADSL capable! The 89x can be plugged into an ADSL modem or even
Metro Ethernet solution or alternately backup line.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a00800a5b9a.shtml
{for ACLs}

Anyhow what I'm trying to say is that it should take off the load of
adding extra machines and also reduce overall cost too.

However if you must use a Squid solution then here are some places to start:

http://www.visolve.com/squid/

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/

and some config examples here:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/

apologies for not being able to help further, however I only use squid
as reverse proxy in my network environment.... :-)

Hope this gets you started though!

Regards,

Kaya