Re: [squid-users] help on squid setup

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:40:32 +1300

Benedict simon wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have used Squid before but im little confused on as how to implement
> squid on the following setup
>
> current setup as follows
>
> DSL router with a public Ip for the WAN ( connection to the ISP)
> lan ip address on dsl router is 192.168.1.254
> local network 192.168.100.0/24
>
> right now the clients have the gateway as 192.168.1.254 and they are able
> to access internet fine
>
> I want to implement linux squid proxy server so that i have better
> controls that is ( time based restrictions , ip based restrictions and
> block certain web sites ) through squid ACLS
>
> I think i have to implement squid as a transparent proxy server with 2
> lan cards on the squid server
>
> apprecite if someone could advise me as how to go about the setup or some
> links which do explain about the setup i like to implement
>
> thanks and regards
>

> simon

All the easy ways:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringBrowsers

Alternatively plug the users switch into one NIC and the DSL box into
the second NIC. Setup the squid box as a full router gateway between the
two sides, it can then do whatever NAT interception you need for the
"transparent" interception, or simply firewall access or software/people
which do not use the proxy gateway.

Amos

--
Please be using