[squid-users] Help with srcdomain and IP lookups instead of rDNS

From: Mark Ruder <mruder_at_bssp.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:20:46 -0700

Hello squiddies.

I've configured squid/2.6.STABLE21, primary to disallow Internet access when my users haven't done their timesheets. Since each machine is named after the user it was pretty easy for me to get the list of machines from DHCP, export and import into squid.conf - eg -

acl username srcdomain username.internal.domain.com

then

http_access allow username

I comment out the users http_access entry when they haven't done their timesheet, put it back in again when complete. I've got 150 acls each with srcdomain entries. Due to the hit I'm assuming I'd get with rDNS I've configured BIND on the server.

My problem is that occasionally I'm seeing IP addresses popping up in my access.log file and that user is denied - however when I do an nslookup on that IP address I get the correct name back.

The median DNS lookup time is

DNS Lookups - 0.01535 0.03223

Which I guess is fast.

Does anyone have an idea on what my issue is? Too much srcdomain stuff going on? If so, can anyone think of a more efficient way to block users (without having to reserve all users in DHCP and block by IP address)?

Thanks loads in advance,
Mark