Re: [squid-users] Custom max-age header

From: Chris Hostetter <hossman_squid_at_fucit.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:40:19 -0700 (PDT)

: > Because one of my backend is Amazon S3 and I can't set up
: > Cache-Control on it. So I looking for different solution how to change
: > this header field (squid). I want the objects to be cache as long as
: > possible on the clients web-browser side (1 year).

I've never used s3, but this sounded so patently absurd that i just
typed "amazon s3 cache-control" in my location bar and this was the i feel
lucky page i got back...

http://www.labnol.org/internet/lower-amazon-s3-bill-improve-website-loading-time/5193/

...which says the it's definitely possible to control the Cache-Control
header used by s3 by specifying it when you create the files.

further searches for "s3 set cache-control" return all sorts of examples
of doing it in multiple tools, and using the various APIs, and indicate
that it's completley possible to set the value for files already in s3...

http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem
Your question appears to be an "XY Problem" ... that is: you are dealing
with "X", you are assuming "Y" will help you, and you are asking about "Y"
without giving more details about the "X" so that we can understand the
full issue. Perhaps the best solution doesn't involve "Y" at all?
See Also: http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341

-Hoss