[squid-users] SNMP counters for bytes in hits/misses

From: Brian J. Murrell <brian_at_interlinx.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:36:54 -0400

It would be nice to have SNMP counters that tracked cache hits and
misses in terms of the number of bytes. This would allow me to see
effective my proxy was at avoiding network traffic.

That said, I'm unsure how I would account for requests to a web servers
to test for object freshness, given that that is not a client request
per se but rather a cache server "management" (or overhead).

I think ultimately I'd like a accounting of every byte that comes/goes
from remote web servers (so that would include freshness probes as well
as object traffic) and an accounting of how much that would have been
(i.e. add to the above the amount of traffic that was avoided by serving
objects out of the cache) had the cache server not been there.

Thots?

b.