Re: [squid-users] sibling peer problems

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:56:26 +1300

bergenpeak_at_comcast.net wrote:

> I'm trying to configure squid to use a sibling cache. The sibling does
> not use ICP and I have not enabled echo mode.
>
> In my config, I have:
>
> cache_peer peer-IP sibling http-port-# 0 no-query
> cache_peer_access peer-IP allow all
>
> In this mode, I see no requests being sent to the sibling. Instead, I
> see squid report in the access_log "TCP-MISS ... DIRECT/...".
>
> If I change the above config from "sibling" to "parent", I see http
> requests being sent to the peer-IP.
>
> Ideas why squid isn't attempting to leverage the sibling?
> Thanks

the difference between parent and sibling types is that parents are
treated as normal web servers siblings as other proxies.

Squid must itself make the descision based on its own config ACLs etc,
whether to use the parent. Since web servers generally do not implements
inter-proxy protocols.

Siblings require the use of one such cache protocol for testing to see
if the desired object is available through there. ICP is the only one
enabled by default in Squid. You need to pick one of the cache peer
selection protocols and enable it.

Amos

--
Please be using