Re: [squid-users] prefer ipv4 addresses

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:00:39 +1300

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I have a Squid 3.1 server here in my IPv6 enabled network.
> Unfortunately my IPv6 ISP has gone down but I still have IPv4 Internet
> connectivity.
>
> Is there any way I can disable Squid from wanting to connect to IPv6
> websites, while still allowing IPv6 requests from clients?
>
> Thanx!
>
> b.

An option to simply turn IPv6 off is not possible at run time. A rebuild
of Squid is needed to fully disable IPv6.

As long as there is no global IPv6 address assigned to the machine Squid
should be failing over to IPv4-only requests without a problem. If you
can identify a problem then please point it out so we can work through
fixing it before 3.1 goes into wide scale production.

You might also want to retain the service by setting up your own tunnel.
Squid only needs a client readable tunnel. 6to4 or miredo end-point on
the box for example provide enough access for Squid to relay IPv6 web
access.

Amos

--
Please be using