[squid-users] Squid & squid_session

From: Adam Binks <Adam.Binks_at_vispa.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:07:00 -0000

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help !

I am using squid Version 3.0.STABLE20 with squid_session. Squid_session
config in squid.conf is as follows:

external_acl_type session ttl=300 negative_ttl=0 children=1
concurrency=200 %SRC /usr/local/squid/libexec/squid_session -t 360
acl session external session
http_access deny !session
deny_info http://some.url.com session

I have some remote sites all using this squid server as a transparent
proxy i.e. no config on the end users pc !

Now, the remote sites are all free wifi sites, so the wireless router
has a routable static IP and then clients are assigned a 10.0.0.x
private IP behind the wireless router. When the first user of the day
connects to the free wifi service they a presented with the webpage as
specified in deny_info however the second user to connect is allowed
straight onto the internet! The page is only displayed again if the
connection has not been used by anyone for 5+ mins however 6 people may
all connect at the same time and only one of them will see the splash
page!

My question is, without using routed static IP's at each site, is it
possible to have squid detect the different end users at each site ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Adam