Re: [squid-users] Squid Throughput Stats

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:36:00 +1300

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 20:06:10 -0000, "Robert Szabo"
<Robert.Szabo_at_adaptivemobile.com> wrote:
> I am looking for some performance measurements for squid e.g. with
average
> message size of x kilobytes squid can handle x transactions per second.

This is highly dependent on particular hardware, configuration, network
loads, and client behavior. All we can do is provide some hints towards the
maximum capacity to look for.
Some reports of real-world capacities seen are listed at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Benchmarks

I've seen Squid-3 (the 'slowest' release) do a 2KB object at 200req/minute
from the network; 1,200req/min from disk; or 18,00req/min from memory
myself. If you can surpass the known 'max' all the better, let us know how
please :)

> Does anyone have stats that cover this, or a know of a utility that can
> gather such information?

I'm aware of apachebench and web polygraph there are likely other tools
for benchmarking HTTP.

Squid also maintains stats internally, you just need to pull them out. As
earlier mentioned cacti is one tool, though any SNMP query agent should be
capable of pulling the stats out through the SNMP interface.

Aside from SNMP there is the cache manager interface. The tools provided
for that and bundled with squid are squidclient (command line API) or
cachemgr.cgi (web page API).

Amos