[squid-users] ongoing gmail attachment problem

From: Daniel Rose <drose_at_nla.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:04:30 +1100

Hi,

Did anyone come up with an authoritative config workaround for gmail attachments? Google uses a flash app to upload multiple attachments, but at first glance it seems that:

 - the flash app can't do NTLM auth and
 - Whatever the flash app does to trigger the browser auth stops the browser from knowing it's a proxy request, so it pops up a dialog to the user.

I can't begin to imagine why other flash apps don't have this problem, but I've only seen it in gmail so far.

If I redirect mail.google.com and gmail.com to their https equivalents using http_access deny and deny_info https://mail.google.com, it predictably breaks the functionality of some page item requests, possibly because the URL is lost.

I've seen a post (from Amos I think) that included something like

##### GMail Redirection ######
acl bad_gmail dstdomain gmail.com
acl HTTP proto HTTP
cache_peer gmail.com parent 443 0 no-query
cache_peer_access gmail.com allow bad_gmail
cache_peer_access gmail.com deny !bad_gmail
never_direct deny HTTP bad_gmail

However, when I use this technique the browser can't load the page because it ends up in a redirect loop without "never_direct deny HTTP bad_gmail", but with this line included I get an error that no peers are available and the cache is not permitted use the origin servers.

In any case I'm still inclined to think that hits against mail.google.com would still result in the same problem uploading attachments.

Has anyone properly solved this, or heard from google themselves on the matter?

Thank you!

--
Daniel Rose
National Library of Australia