Re: [squid-users] SNMP counters for bytes in hits/misses

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 21:32:47 +0100

ons 2009-10-28 klockan 08:36 -0400 skrev Brian J. Murrell:
> It would be nice to have SNMP counters that tracked cache hits and
> misses in terms of the number of bytes. This would allow me to see
> effective my proxy was at avoiding network traffic.

There is, kind of.

SavedBandwidth = cacheHttpOutKb - cacheServerInKb

but remember to do the calculation on delta values (i.e. difference over
5 minutes) as both are counters and will wrap around to 0 at some
point...

> That said, I'm unsure how I would account for requests to a web servers
> to test for object freshness, given that that is not a client request
> per se but rather a cache server "management" (or overhead).

The above is pretty neutral on the subject, giving the difference in
bandwidth usage.

the distinction between hit/mis is quite blurred which hits also using
upstream bandwith (cache revalidations), and will be more blurred over
time when we add support for partial responses..